Turn to us today, for assistance in creating a legal document that allows you to appoint an attorney who will make decisions on your behalf, when necessary.

Choosing a Power of Attorney

You have the option to appoint more than one attorney, as long as it is a person whom you trust. After all, you are granting them the right to make decisions for you.

Choose from two types of attorneys. The Health and Welfare Attorney will assist you with your daily routine and medical care. A Property and Financial Affairs Attorney is there to help you in paying your bills, collect your benefits, and even sell your home should you choose to.

Rules and Regulations

When appointing an attorney, he or she must be over 18 years old and is able to make decisions. He or she should make decisions that you agree with and should also respect your wishes and demands. You cannot appoint someone who is currently bankrupt or subject to a debt relief order.

Unable to Make a Lasting Power of Attorney

If you do not have a lasting power of attorney and are unable to manage your property and financial affairs due to confinement or mental incapacitation, the Court of Protection will do it on your behalf. A relative or a person close to you is required to apply in this court, which can take up to 12 months and costs more £1,000 to process.

In addition, the person authorized to handle your affairs on your behalf is not only unlikely to be who you would have chosen but may even be a court official. You will be charged every time he or she acts for you. This process also applies to health and welfare decisions, where someone should apply in the Court of Authorization.

Contact us today for a free consultation in the comfort of your own home.

Loss of mobility or illness can make it difficult to manage your affairs

An elderly relative losing capacity is difficult enough for loved ones to deal with, without the added worry that finances are becoming muddled.

The prospect of unpaid bills can cause unnecessary stress and anxiety, and delay someone’s recovery.

Having someone you know and trust and more importantly understands you, to manage your affairs, is far preferable than a court official.

Even the young can encounter problems due to accident or illness.